Today, we’re introducing you to a bright and vibrant vanilla cupcake recipe! These cupcakes are perfect for any occasion, from birthdays to tea parties. They are also a great place to start if you’re just getting into baking.
In this article, we’ll be covering how to make perfect and delightful vanilla cupcakes – the cakey kind – with the best buttercream frosting!
The recipe is very simple, easy-to-follow, and the ingredients are pretty simple to find too.
Just combine all the dry ingredients, mix them thoroughly, add the other ingredients and bake in the oven. Once cooked, set it aside, and make your go-to buttercream frosting! Easy right?
Let’s get into it!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Vanilla Cupcakes
- 160g all-purpose flour
- 7 grams baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
Procedures to Make Perfect and Delightful Vanilla Cupcakes
- Preheat Oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Line your baking trays with cupcake or muffin wrappers.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. This removes any lumps and ensures they mix evenly.
- Add sugar into the sifted mixture until well combined with no clumps of sugar remaining.
- Then, add your eggs one by one, making sure each egg is mixed thoroughly before adding the next one.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add your milk to this mixture while continuously stirring until everything is perfectly blended into a batter that’s smooth as silk! Your batter should also have the consistency of paint – thick but still very fluid.
- Once your batter is complete, scrape down the sides of your bowl to ensure everything is well incorporated.
- It’s time for baking! Fill your cupcake liners with the batter about 3/4 full and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees F or until your toothpick test comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcake.
- When finished, remove them from the microwave and let them cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool down completely before frosting them!
Now that you’re a cupcake baking pro, you can go ahead and make some frosting while your cupcakes are cooling.
Ingredients to Make Buttercream Frosting for Your Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2-3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
Quick and Easy Steps to Make the Best Buttercream Frosting
- Cream your butter in a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed with the whisk attachment. This takes at least 5 minutes.
Be patient and never try to rush this step. It’s essential for making smooth frosting without any little lumps that would otherwise melt into ugly white dots when you spread the frosting on your cupcakes.
The more you cream, the better and fluffier it will be. So go for at least 5 minutes, and don’t turn it down to “stir” until all the lumps are gone!
- Once your butter is creamed, gradually add in your confectioners’ sugar while mixing at low speed.
You want to add about a cup and mix well. Then add another cup of sugar and beat some more.
Add sugar if needed to achieve the desired consistency (thick enough to hold its shape when placed on top of a cupcake).
- Add in the vanilla extract at this point and mix in well with your buttercream.
- Once you have reached the desired consistency, turn off the mixer and grab your piping bag fitted with the round tip (optional), or just use an offset metal spatula or knife to spread or as desired!
- And your frosting is ready to be piped on top of your cupcakes!
And now you can indulge! With your cupcakes cooled and decorated (or not) to perfection, you should be ready for a treat that will make any day special.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- When using a piping bag with a round tip, place the baggie inside of a tall glass, so you have more control over how much comes out. Put your hand on top of the glass and apply pressure to push the frosting out from the top.
- Try not to overfill your icing bag. You don’t want it to burst and frosting to come out the top.
- If you have a little extra time, let it stand for a while before piping. This will allow the frosting to thicken up a bit more so it won’t run!
- Don’t overfill the cupcake liners. Only fill it about 3/4 of the way up, and don’t press down on them. Otherwise, they might end up looking like a mountain!
- Don’t forget to decorate your cupcakes with sprinkles if you want them extra festive! You can also add mallows and berries too!
- If you’re making a bittersweet (dark) chocolate frosting, add more unsweetened cocoa powder or less powdered sugar for the desired taste!
- Make sure your ingredients are room temperature before baking so the finished product will turn out fluffy and moist!
- You should store your cupcakes in an airtight container or zip lock bag at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- If they will be outside for more than 2 hours, make sure to bring them inside, so they don’t dehydrate.
- Frosting will be good for 1-2 days in an airtight container or zip lock bag at room temperature.
People Also Ask
1. How long do cupcakes last?
Cupcakes without frosting can be kept on the counter for 2 days or in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. If you have added a filling, frosting, or glaze, it will decrease how long they will stay fresh.
2. Why are the tops of my cupcakes crunchy?
This can be from over baking or from being overcooked in the microwave. Cooking times vary depending on the type of cupcake, so it is important to follow the cooking time listed in each recipe.
3. How far in advance can I bake cupcakes?
Do not bake cupcakes for more than 24 hours before they eat because they will dry out and won’t taste as good.
4. When do you know when a cupcake is done?
Ensure that your oven is preheated and that you don’t open it before 20 minutes has gone by, or it won’t rise properly. If you insert a toothpick into the center, it should come out clean after baking for 22-28 minutes, depending on your oven.
5. Why are my cupcakes sunk in the middle?
Your oven might be too cold, or maybe you’re not using enough baking powder. Make sure that your oven is fully preheated.
6. What is the best way to soften butter?
You can microwave it for 10-15 seconds or leave it out at room temperature overnight – either way, make sure that it is softened but not melted!
Some Final Words
Making vanilla cupcakes is not very time-consuming, but it requires patience. It’s an art rather than a science. Experiment with different cake recipes and frosting flavors. The options are endless!
If there’s ever been a reason to turn on your oven, this is definitely it. Just follow the simple steps in this article, and you’ll be making gorgeous cupcakes before you know it!
Perfectly fluffy, deliciously buttery, and just sweet enough. That’s what makes a vanilla cupcake great!
Happy baking and have fun with this delightful treat!
Find out more recipes like this in our blog.