Are you ready for another satisfying recipe?
Then, don’t go anywhere else as I share with you this recipe that’s perfect for any family gathering.
From the book “The Return of the Naked Chef,” Jamie Oliver’s risotto recipe is one of my favorite dishes to make as I admire how he provides people who love to eat and is fond of cooking like me. This is a very easy and quick recipe to follow, but the outcome is simply the best which you and your family will surely love.
Tips When Cooking Prawn and Pea Risotto
This recipe will surely be enjoyed by the individuals who love an all-in-one meal. You can already eat rice perfectly partnered with prawn with the twist of white wine, basil, pea, mint, and the excellent sweet and fruity taste of parmesan cheese that adds more flavor to the rice.
In making this prawn and pea risotto with basil and mint recipe, you have to use special risotto rice. These are the type which has smaller and rounder grains than the normal rice. These kinds of rice can absorb large quantities of liquids to give your risotto the creamy consistency while still being firm. There are varieties of risotto rice that you may use, such as arborio rice which you can easily find in your local supermarket.
Next, you need to consider that your wine should be at room temperature before using and your chicken stock is hot. Finally, you should also remember to do it little by little to be fully and equally absorbed when adding these to rice.
You need to know that your full attention is important when cooking this recipe. You are not supposed to leave your stove and walk around if you do not want to ruin what you are cooking as you have to constantly stir it so it will not dry up easily. You should prepare everything before starting to cook because that is the secret of this recipe.
So after giving you some tips that will surely help you, let us now jump into cooking the prawn and pea risotto with basil and mint.
Ingredients for Prawn and Pea Risotto
- Approximately 1.5 liters of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 shallots or 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400 g risotto rice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 wine glasses of dry white wine (1/4 liter)
- 50 g butter
- 60 g freshly grated Parmesan
- 3 good handfuls of frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 knob of butter
- 450 g of raw prawns, peeled (about 12 big prawns)
- 1 handful of fresh basil, chopped
- ½ a handful of fresh mint, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
Here’s how you will prepare Prawn and Pea Risotto With Basil and Mint
- The first thing to do is to cook peas in boiling chicken stock; if you want more flavorful peas, you can put their pods in the remaining stock and use them to water your risotto rice.
- Then, in a separate pan, you may heat the olive oil and add the garlic and onion. Fry them for like 3 minutes while slowly mixing.
- Add rice and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. At this stage, the rice will start to fry, so continue your slow mixing. When it already looks a bit translucent, it only means that the rice has absorbed all the flavors of vegetables.
- It is the time where you can add the wine while still mixing. It will surely smell wonderful as wine broils with other ingredients. But do not worry because all the alcoholic flavors will evaporate and only leave a fantastic taste that you will love.
- When the wine has settled with rice, you may add the boiled chicken stock little by little so that the rice may absorb it evenly. Then, adjust the heat, which is not too high, just enough for the rice to simmer and cook. Keep mixing the rice until you have put all the remaining chicken stock, and then for about 15 minutes, you may taste the rice if it is already cooked. If not, continue adding chicken stock until the rice is soft.
- Now, add the prawns and peas and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Then, add the herbs and lemon juice and mix.
- When the rice is cooked, add the butter and parmesan. Mix them slowly and cover the pan. Allow resting for 3 minutes.
- Finally, you may now serve and eat your prawn and pea risotto with basil and mint. Enjoy your meal!
Cooking this recipe is somewhat easy and tricky at the same time as you need to perfectly cook the rice for an excellent consistency.
So your full attention is important throughout the cooking procedure. But once you achieve the creaminess and firmness of risotto with all the flavor of the ingredients, it will surely satisfy your taste buds.
May you enjoy this recipe with your family!