Are you a cake and chocolate lover all at the same time? Then, read on as I am about to give you this easy-to-bake chocolate birthday cake recipe that you will surely enjoy!
From the How to Eat: Pleasures and Principles of Good Food, this recipe is something that will make you engrossed in trying each recipe inside. I’ve been using this book for quite some time now, but it has no images in its recipes.
At first, I thought I would not enjoy reading this recipe book without any illustration, but it sent me a different vibe in cooking as I continued reading and exploring. Indeed, recipe books without images will give a person a different instinct just by looking at them.
So you will have this certain curiosity in mind on how your cooking might look after you try doing it. It is the very same feeling I felt when I read about this chocolate birthday cake recipe. It somewhat made me doubt, but somehow I knew in my heart that the result would be wonderful, so I tried anyway.
It gives me a sense of satisfaction. Opening a book, hitting on a recipe, and making it without knowing how it should look like is a great discovery process for me.
This chocolate cake is perfect for your loved one’s birthday celebration, as it is not just an ordinary cake but a cake incorporated with love and effort that will appreciate whoever in your family member is celebrating their birthday. In addition, this cake has an excellent crumb. I could not imagine any chocolate cake if I did not try doing this one.
Finally, my search for a perfect chocolate cake recipe is over. But I will not let you wait any longer. Here is the full recipe for an easy-to-make chocolate cake!
- 1 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 110g butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 100g dark chocolate (cut into small pieces)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 200g dark chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
Here’s how you will prepare the chocolate cake
For the cake
- You must first preheat the oven to 180 C. Put the kettle on.
- Then grease and line a 20 cm springform pan for the cake batter.
- Start sifting the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt all together in a large bowl.
- Then add the sugar, butter, milk and ½ cup just-boiled water and the chocolate into a saucepan and heat until smooth and melted. Using a wooden spoon, stir the chocolate mixture into dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Now, add in eggs and beat to incorporate.
- Pour into cake pan, bake 35-45 mins. The top will feel firm when ready, but a skewer may not come out clean; it is a fudgy textured cake.
For the ganache
- First, you should chop the chocolate into pieces and put it in a bowl.
- Then heat the cream to just about boiling point, pour it over the chopped chocolate, and leave for 5 minutes.
- You can now then beat it with an electric beater until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Finally, you may now spread the ganache all over the cake. Leave for a couple of hours or until set- you can bake this cake a day ahead for a much amazing result.
Baking cakes is not as easy as we think it is in the actual process, especially when you do not have a passion. But if you are game for the challenge, then this one is for you. When baking or even cooking an ordinary dish, you will always need to put effort and love into it for a perfect result. So may you learn something from this birthday cake recipe we featured today, and may you enjoy this with your family. Happy baking!