As the weather gets cooler, it’s time for us to get the slow cooker out and make some comfort food.
This Asian-style slow cooker pork belly dish is a Chinese family favorite dish that’s easy to make and perfect for dinner gatherings. It’s a one-pot dish in which you combine the ingredients in a pot and let it simmer for a few hours with minimal engagement.
This meal is ideal for cooking in a slow cooker. When slow-cooked for long periods, the thick skin of the pork belly and the tough flesh melt into softness.
How will you slow cook a pork belly? You must first turn the slow cooker on high heat. Score rind of pork about 5mm apart. Then, place meat, skin side up on a folded piece of foil and put into a slow cooker. You may add the remaining ingredients, then turn pork several times to ensure it is coated with the flavorings. Cover and cook for 4-5 hours, turning meat over once or twice during cooking. Then finally serve it and enjoy!
There are a variety of foods that you may serve alongside the pork belly. Here are a few suggestions on how to serve this delectable dish.
I prefer to serve this meal with some excellent fried rice as a side dish. However, you may use normal rice instead if you want something a bit simpler. You should feed four people with this recipe, especially if you have additional side dishes; double the quantity of the pork belly if you need to serve additional people.
I’ll be giving you TIPS that you may follow in cooking this pork belly before proceeding to the actual recipe.
- You may freeze the cooked stock and use it in another recipe later. Before freezing, make sure all fat is removed. It should last around three months.
- Pan-frying is another alternative. When you fry the pork belly, it tends to drip quite a little. Fry the pork until it is golden brown and the fat is crispy.
- Try getting the best chunk of pork belly from your neighborhood butcher.
- When it is time to chop the pork, make sure you use a sharp knife. If it’s blunt, you could wind up with some extremely malformed pork belly.
- You may store the leftover pork belly in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You may also freeze it for up to 3 months.
- Any leftover meat may be shredded and used on pizza or sandwiches. You may also leave it alone and serve it with rice and veggies.
- Reduce the cooking time by around two hours to get a firmer pork belly. If you don’t want your pork to break apart, this step is essential.
Ingredients for our Asian-style Slow Cooker Pork Belly
- 750g fresh belly pork
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp sherry (I used mirin)
- 1/4 c water
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp grated ginger root
- 2 tbsp brown sugar optional ( I just added this just because I think it works better)
Here’s how you will prepare Asian-style Slow Cooker Pork Belly
- First, you must turn the slow cooker on high heat.
- Then score a rind of pork about 5mm apart.
- You may now place meat, skin side up on a folded piece of foil and put it into a slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients, then turn pork several times to ensure it is coated with the flavorings.
- Cover and cook for 4-5 hours, turning meat over once or twice during cooking.
- To serve, lift the meat out and place skin side up on a board and cut into slices. Pour spoonfuls of cooking liquid over each serving.
What factors should you consider when selecting a SLOW COOKER?
- The first thing to consider is the SIZE. Do you cook for a large household or simply for two? If you don’t use it frequently, the larger ones take up a lot of extra space on your kitchen counter.
- CONTROLS might be manual or digital. The majority of slow cookers feature manual settings with just a low or high option. The more recent models include computerized controls. The digital versions include automated countdowns and stay warm functions.
- Shape. You may choose between a round or oval form and which one is best for you based on what you intend to cook in it.
- Bowl is removable. The bigger slow cookers have detachable bowls for the most part. They are often constructed of stoneware and are durable enough to be used in the oven and dishwasher safe.
- Glass cover. I appreciate the strong glass cover since it sits perfectly on the pot with no notches and allows you to see how the meat is cooking without removing the cover.
Here are the best sellers slow cookers from Amazon for your reference:
1. Crock-Pot 6-Quart Slow Cooker
2. Hamilton Beach 3-Quart Slow Cooker
3. Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, 3 Quart, Stainless Steel/Black
The tenderness of the pork belly from this recipe will surely give you and anyone who will taste it a feeling of great satisfaction.
May you find this recipe useful as you make this meal. Happy cooking!